The Eagleman Stag trailer, Mikey Please

Tuesday 10 May 2011


Currently laid up with gastritis, what fun... I should be used to it by now I guess, but I just hate only being able to eat tiny bits of dry toast! But I've found this animation by Michael Please (see his blog and his portfolio)  and it's cheering me up greatly with its stop-motiony goodness. These images are just from the trailer of the BAFTA 2011 short animation winner, The Eagleman Stag - also his Royal College of Arts final film. Another great video is the 'set installation' to show some of the props, here. The entire animation is non-CGI, with the whole thing being created over six months using only styrofoam, paper and card. What is particularly impressive to me is that the majority of the materials used are very pale or white, leaving the lighting to create the drama through shadows and highlights. Incredibly clever.

Michael Please: "Voiced by the cult British actor David Cann, The Eagleman Stag is a dark, cerebral comedy about a man's obsession with his quickening perception of time and the extreme lengths he goes to in order to counter the effect. Each unfolding scene is a key moment in the life of Peter, another piece in the puzzle. Realised in monochrome stopmotion, the haunting and surreal settings create a sense of contemporary film noir."

The film looks amazing, and I can't wait to see if it shows near me at some point (or if it comes out on general release, I'd definitely buy it) - until then I'm following his twitter in the hope of some news! I also want to set installation on my wall, it looks absolutely stunning. It makes me want to skip my English degree and learn animation instead. I don't think I quite have the patience for it. I really just want to make all of those things, and have them to keep. Also from what I've heard from the trailer, the music (written by the talented Benedict Please, Michael's brother) is just perfect for the animation. Also he says that he loves the Clint Mansell film score for Moon, (which he puts in a paragraph with Indiana Jones and Star Wars) which makes him infinitely more wonderful.


If you repeat the word 'fly' for long enough it sounds like you are saying 'life'. This is of no help to Peter. His answers lie in the brain of the beetle.

1 comment: