KEATON HENSON'S ONE-SHOT MUSIC VIDEO

Saturday 11 August 2012


Keaton Henson has to be one of my favourite singer-songwriters out there, and I've posted about him before. However, I think he deserves another post (and another coming up!). This video for 'You Don't Know How Lucky You Are' (full credits here) is one of my favourite music videos of all time. It's such a beautiful example of a one-shot technique, perfectly fits with the music and does just enough to give the viewer something to work with, but lets their imagination completely work the story for themselves. It's a perfect example of the 'less is more' approach. I applaud the wonderful Sophie Thompson (sister of Emma Thompson and noted for roles in Harry Potter, Eastenders, The Railway Children, Emma, Persuasion and many others)for such a stunning and honest performance - the role is something that some people might consider 'simple', but personally I found it incredibly moving and I often find myself playing the song and watching the video about five times in a row. Definitely a must if you fancy a weep and are tired of listening to Adele! What do you think of one-shot approaches? Do you find them effective?

2 comments:

  1. The video is stunning, I've listened to the song many times before & I am a huge fan of his, but have never seen this video, Sophie Thompson is so perfect in it! It's weird, but I definitely view the song in a different way after seeing this, it seems all the more heartbreaking now somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's completely left to your imagination to fill it in, so I think that's why it's all the more heartbreaking. In the comments on Vimeo I found this:
      "Imagine you were living in the 19st century, that you didn't had any food for three days - you live in a no man's land and your husband went to get supplies in the nearest town three weeks ago and usually it takes him just one - and minutes before this happens you receive a letter saying that he died."
      That's the kind of thing this lets us do with our imagination.

      Delete