IMAGES FROM THE MOON: NEIL ARMSTRONG'S HASSELBLAD 500

Saturday 25 August 2012


"It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small."
Neil Armstrong, the first man on the moon, died today aged eighty two. He was truly a historical legend, whether he wanted to become one or not! I can't imagine anything more amazing than that landing, after all the years of planning and training. Stepping outside must have been an incredible feeling. The camera used was a special version of the Hasselblad 500, and I've got to say it gives the most beautiful feel to the images. Hasselblad created many of the cameras used in NASA's space missions. The astronauts in this mission created history; I would give a lot to have been alive to see the landing in real time. 

Somehow, growing up in our environment of space travel and new technology, I think we don't fully appreciate how life-changing and momentous this event was - and so today I'm trying to appreciate the true value of the landing. It's strange - I feel we often misguidedly believe that we're so very important in the vast scheme of the universe, when in fact we are just a biological happening (I'm a little nihilistic) - but if we're all we know, then I suppose we have to celebrate our own achievements. And this is surely one to be proud of.
"I believe that every human has a finite number of heartbeats. I don't intend to waste any of mine."


4 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful post, so sad he is gone but the effect he had on society will be felt forever.
    Anna

    http://opshopaholic.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great post, I'm really sad about him passing away, I always used to want to be an astronaut so I feel like one of my heroes is gone. I agree, the photos have an amazing feel to them, I've never thought about it from that perspective before xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really beautiful post Laura. It made me so sad to hear about his passing on Saturday, he achieved so many great things & as Becca said, it's like one of our true heroes has gone. Not that he will be forgotten though, I think the effect of his many achievements will be felt forever, it'd be hard for it not to.
    I agree with you're nihilism, I think we are incredibly naive & arrogant to think we are that important. Especially when considering how vast the universe is, how many billions of other planets exist out there & how unlikely it is that none of those contain other forms of life (intelligent or not). I think the first quote you used by Armstrong sums this up perfectly & it's also one of my favourites :)

    ReplyDelete